Wednesday, June 12, 2013

the last orange on the tree.................

The orange is growing the others fell off most likely because they weren't strong enough so day after day I watch this orange grow bigger and bigger.  I was thinking about something my husband said last night about us complaining about the new hospice our trials and tribulations etc.  "It's not his fault, he didn't ask for this disease." my husband says.  "If he goes tomorrow, then what~he's gone" he added.  This really struck a cord with me because for the last week since we switched hospice, I've been swirling to make sure he gets the care and everything he needed.  Tired I was, until last night and was reminded that this could all be over in a blink of an eye.  I cherish every moment with him, every bowel movement, every laugh, every meal.  I didn't always.  We dance at the stupidest things or at least I do he watches me most likely thinking how crazy I am.

Fathers day is a few days away and I want to list a few cool facts about my dad.
Lied about his age to get into the service to take care of his mother and sister.
Worked a couple of jobs till his brother found him a job with the city.
Charmed the socks (literally) off my mom and then my gramma mommzi
I can count on one hand how many times he was truly upset with me
Never ever let me out of his sight when he thought I might be in danger or trouble
Held a friend back so I could deck her (I sorta feel bad about this one still today)
Took care of his grand children like they were little precious gems.
Always there to talk to, always had something to say, always had a gentle ear
Always gave the right advice even if I didn't think so.
As I look into his eyes today, I am not sure if he will make it another Fathers Day and this makes me sad.  Everyday as I do things for him no matter what I try and be positive and cheerful because that is
what he always gave to me.  Always.

He is the last orange on the tree.

No comments: